From: "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub: how to install new version of stage 1
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 16:12:53
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 30 May 2009 20:59:00 John P. Burkett wrote:
3 >> The manual suggests doing "grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda"
4 >> but later says "If your system does not have any floppy drives, add the
5 >> --no-floppy option to the above command to prevent grub from probing the
6 >> (non-existing) floppy drives." My machine has a floppy drive. Should I
7 >> omit the --no-floppy option and just do "grub-install /dev/sda" ?
8 >
9 > The manual is actually quite clear if you know even just a little bit about
10 > boot loaders.
11 >
12 > Use --no-floppy if
13 >
14 > a) you do not have a floppy drive
15 > b) you do not intend grub to use the floppy drive you do have
16 >
17 > The question you should be asking is "have I ever booted off a floppy drive in
18 > the last X years, and do I ever intend do so again?"
19 >
20 > The first example in the manual is assuming the answers are no and no - pretty
21 > normal for the vast majority of users.
22 >
23 Thanks, Dale and Alan, for your suggestions. Doing
24 grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda
25 as root elicits the following response:
26 /dev/md1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
27
28 In my /dev directory, I see a sda and a md1 file.
29
30 Suggestions for diagnosing or resolving the problem would be much
31 appreciated.
32
33 John
36 John P. Burkett