From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bash prompt colours
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 12:08:59
1 On 2021-12-03 11:17+0000 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > Hello list,
4 >
5 > Is there a way to set the colour of a bash prompt according to
6 > whether the user has SSH'd in?
7 >
8 > This machine is a compile host for some others on the LAN, and it
9 > would be helpful if it were more obvious that I'm connected to
10 > another machine. Of course, the standard prompt tells me the machine
11 > name, but something more conspicuous would help.
12
13 When you are connected via SSH, the environment variable SSH_CONNECTION
14 is set. I store the color in a variable and set it to yellow if
15 `[[ -n "${SSH_CONNECTION}" ]]`. I can't give you the exact snippet
16 since I use Zsh, but it should be possible to use a variable as color
17 in bash's prompt?
18
19 Kind regards, tastytea
22 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at