From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:47:17
1 On Aug 22, 2013 1:28 PM, "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Correct, and here lies the cause for the "out of sync" scenario.
3 >
4 > > So the only "out of sync" scenario that should matter is with the
5 > > kernel or kernel modules. Even if it were out of sync with your
6 > > current toolset it should still be able
7 > > to perform the pivot. Shouldn't any "userland stuff" that
8 > > breaks initramfs BE in initramfs?
9 >
10 > Incorrect, there are userland tools, like LVM and MDADM (layout 1.2 does
11 > NOT support auto-assembly by kernel), that are needed to access of the
12 > filesystems.
13 >
14 > It is possible that an older version of one of these tools, after an
15 > update, can no longer access the disks succesfully. When portage updates
16 > this package, the initramfs is not automatically updated with the new
17 > version.
18
19 Ok. I don't use raid / lvm on my desktop so I missed the obvious case of a
20 user tool that needs to be in initramfs.
21
22 But it makes sense. Any tool that affects filesystem mounting at the very
23 least of /usr, even if its cifs or nfs or whatev, should be included in
24 initramfs. This is gentoo, not ubuntu. Blind updates are known to be
25 irresponsible behavior. Is this a big deal?