From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:44:28
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Volker Armin Hemmann
3 > [mailto:volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de]
4 > Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:19 AM
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
9 > On Dienstag, 17. Juli 2007, Stroller wrote:
10 >
11 > > I believe that even Linus - who is noted for his long-standing
12 > > opposition to v3 - would change his mind were he to
13 > experience this.
14 > > "They're using the operating system _I_ wrote to lock me out of _my
15 > > own_ router?!?!?!?"
16 >
17 > Linus has said it several times that he was ok with the thing
18 > Tivo did.
19 >
20 > And Tivo is the reason for that clause in GPLv3.
21 > --
22 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
23
24 TiVo took code, incorporated it into a product, and put the
25 modified sources online so people could see them. The sources
26 were heavily modified for a specialized device, but they were
27 provided. They did not allow modified, and therefore potentially
28 Compromised, devices connect to their network.
29
30 This does not sound like theft of code, it sounds like sound network
31 protocol. If you wish to maintain a secure environment that is stable
32 for thousands of users, and has a lot of money riding on it, you do
33 not allow compromised devices to connect. It is that simple.
34
35 The TiVo thing was completely within the word and spirit of the GPL.
36 It is sad that many zealots seem to interpret the texts otherwise.
37
38 I should not be surprised since many people treat the Free Software
39 movement as a religion for all practical purposes. In every religion
40 you will find interpretations and possible corruptions of the groups
41 texts.
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list