From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 06:52:49
1 On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 12:04:43AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote
2 > How long do desktop users typically leave their systems between reboots ?
3 > How long between power off/on's ?
4 >
5 > I've long been in the habit of switching everything off while I sleep,
6 > then restarting after I've woken & got going again myself. However
7 > recently, I've run into delays getting my router (only 1 device
8 > attached) to shake hands successfully with my ISP's server, which have
9 > been requiring several power off/on's before it works.
10
11 I'm on Teksavvy, and I run into that on occasion.
12
13 > As a result, I've started rebooting only after my weekly system update
14 > -- it means I get to use the new versions of everything -- & not
15 > powering off at all ; the monitor + Xscreensaver are off whenever I'm
16 > away from the machine for >= 1 hr (approx).
17 >
18 > Are there any pro's/con's I sb aware of ?
19
20 [d531][waltdnes][~] uptime
21 02:14:01 up 39 days, 5:31, 22 users, load average: 0.16, 0.22, 0.48
22
23 No, my machine has not been on for over 900 consecutive hours. It's
24 that long since my most recent "full boot". sys-power/hibernate-script
25 in suspend-to-disc mode totally shuts down the machine. It has to read
26 the BIOS on start-up, but it restores all workspaces, and program state
27 with multiple browsers/spreadsheets/etc open, from swap. I have
28 multiple browser profiles, allowing me to dedicate separate instances to
29 each forum. Plus I have ongong personal projects that have spreadsheets
30 or vim open. It's an absolute pain to re-open all the
31 browsers/spreadsheets/etc in each workspace when I do a "real reboot"
32 for a new kernel.
33
34 I currently have the display, speakers, modem, router, etc plugged
35 into power bars that are plugged into a "slave jack" on my UPS. The
36 desktop PC is plugged into the "master jack". When the "master" is
37 drawing power, the "slave" jack provides power to the power bars. When
38 I hibernate the PC, and it powers down, the "slave" jack cuts off power
39 to the power bars. So shutting down or hibernating my PC shuts down
40 display, speakers, modem, router, etc. Turning the PC back on powers
41 them up again. If I had your problem, I would move my router/modem to a
42 "filtered" plug on the UPS. So hibernation would shut down everything
43 except the router/modem.
46 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
47 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications