From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Threads changing Was: OT: website design
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 20:08:07
1 On Sunday 05 Jun 2011 19:59:59 David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 01:10:02 +0200, Dale wrote about Re: [gentoo-user]
3 > Threads changing Was: OT: website design:
4 >
5 > [snip]
6 >
7 > >Oh, so when it gets broken, I need to find the message before that to
8 > >see where it got messed up. Sorry to use the technical term "messed
9 > >up" but it fits rather well. lol
10 >
11 > Okay, this is my second follow-up to this message, and things are
12 > becoming much clearer in my mind and somewhat more complicated in
13 > reality.
14 >
15 > The message to which I am replying has the following header lines:
16 >
17 > Message-ID: <h088G-8nx-5@×××××××××××××.it>
18 >
19 > X-Original-Message-ID: <4DEAB868.6040001@×××××.com>
20 >
21 > My first reply has these two header lines, the first of which should be
22 > part of the thread formation process used by a good MUA:
23 >
24 > References: <h0nU6-PO-13@×××××××××××××.it>
25 > <h0nU6-PO-15@×××××××××××××.it> <h0nU6-PO-17@×××××××××××××.it>
26 > <h0nU6-PO-19@×××××××××××××.it> <h0nU6-PO-21@×××××××××××××.it>
27 > <h0nU6-PO-23@×××××××××××××.it> <h0nU6-PO-25@×××××××××××××.it>
28 > <h0nU6-PO-27@×××××××××××××.it> <h0nU6-PO-29@×××××××××××××.it>
29 > <h0nU6-PO-31@×××××××××××××.it> <h0nU6-PO-33@×××××××××××××.it>
30 > <h0nU6-PO-35@×××××××××××××.it> <h0o3M-1jx-13@×××××××××××××.it>
31 >
32 > X-Original-References: <gZYsG-h5-21@×××××××××××××.it>
33 > <h07vY-7fk-15@×××××××××××××.it>
34 > <h07vY-7fk-17@×××××××××××××.it>
35 > <h07vY-7fk-19@×××××××××××××.it>
36 > <h07vY-7fk-21@×××××××××××××.it>
37 > <h07vY-7fk-23@×××××××××××××.it>
38 > <h07vY-7fk-25@×××××××××××××.it>
39 > <h07vY-7fk-27@×××××××××××××.it>
40 > <gZYsG-h5-23@×××××××××××××.it>
41 > <h07vY-7fk-29@×××××××××××××.it>
42 > <h07vY-7fk-31@×××××××××××××.it>
43 > <h07vY-7fk-13@×××××××××××××.it>
44 > <h088G-8nx-5@×××××××××××××.it>
45 >
46 > The X-Original-References: line has the correct message id as the last
47 > one in the list. This absolutely correct, which means that Claws-Mail
48 > is doing the right thing.
49 >
50 > The References: line has some really weird replacements for the ones
51 > that were originally in the message I submitted. Unless list messages
52 > are being assigned different message id's for different distribution
53 > mechanisms (SMTP/POP3 and NNTP), this means the list server is broken.
54 > This would be a third, and more pernicious, source of thread breakage.
55 >
56 > In my previous reply to this message, I changed the Subject: line
57 > slightly: I removed the "Was OT: website design" tail. This caused the
58 > thread to break in my MUA too. In turn, this implies that Claws was
59 > "wallpapering over the crack" by rejoining the thread using Subject:
60 > and Date: headers to put the messages into chronological sequence
61 > within Subject: text grouping. I suspect other MUAs are doing the same,
62 > which is why the problem is not perceived more widely.
63 >
64 > I now need to change my subscription details so that I receive messages
65 > by email, as well as through Usenet. This will then tell me if message
66 > id's are the same across delivery mechanisms or different.
67 >
68 > Are we all confused enough for this weekend? ... :-)
69
70 Ha, ha! I'm more than others it seems!
71
72 Also have a look at gmane. Some of your responses (and Indi's) are broken.
73 --
74 Regards,
75 Mick