From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new installation - partitions
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 14:01:07
1 On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 9:29 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > My BIOS boot partition is 1MB not 1GB. My /boot partition is 1GB to allow
3 > room for a couple of System Rescue CD ISO images.
6 There are a few types of boot partitions these days.
7
8 One is used when booting GPT from legacy BIOS. Grub needs to stick
9 some of its data in a known location and there isn't anyplace to store
10 that with GPT like there is with MBR. So, GRUB makes you have a very
11 small partition (1-2MB I think offhand) to do it.
12
13 When booting from EFI you need a GPT boot partition (FAT - ugh) that
14 actually contains the image that gets booted, so it needs to have room
15 for at least a couple of kernels/initramfs - so that will be larger.
16
17 Then, when booting from an MBR disk with a legacy BIOS it isn't
18 uncommon to still have a boot partition big enough for a few
19 kernels/initramfs for a few reasons:
20 1. If the BIOS is really old it might not be able to address your
21 entire disk, so you need it to be near the start of the disk.
22 2. Your bootloader might not be able to read your root partition, so
23 you need something it can read so that your kernel/initramfs can do
24 the rest.
25
26 So, be careful when you read instructions on creating boot partitions
27 and make sure that they're trying to solve the problem that you
28 actually have...
31 Rich