From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can no longer use symlinks in /etc/init.d with openrc-0.9.8.4 ?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:39:46
1 On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:35:50 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2
3 > > Or use a hardlink instead of a symlink.
4
5 > I tend to stay away from hardlinks; ls IIRC can't differentiate between
6 > hardlinks and normal files.
7
8 There is no difference. A normal file entry in a directory is still a
9 hardlink, what we generally call hardlinks are just additional copies,
10 it's all the same file.
11
12 > Thus, there's a possibility that I forgot
13 > and accidentally change the one in /opt, which then get pushed to
14 > bitbucket.
15
16 It doesn't matter where you change it when there's only one file. It
17 means you can put the file where openrc seems to want it and keep it in
18 your separate directory as you want.
19
20 However, if symlinks have stopped working, there was either a conscious
21 design decision or you've found a new bug.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Despite the cost of living it remains popular.