From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preparing for make menuconfig
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 06:32:54
1 On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 01:54:22AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
2 > Are libkmod resources used by sound cards?
3
4 libkmod, as described at [1], is a "set of tools to handle common tasks with
5 Linux kernel modules like insert, remove, list, check properties, resolve
6 dependencies and aliases". This is just a total guess, but I can suppose that
7 lspci uses it to convey which kernel modules are being used by each PCI device.
8
9 Can you post the full command and output? Are you getting a particular error
10 message/number, such as the one at [2]? Please, whenever you encounter an error
11 like this, be as *verbose as (reasonably) possible* when asking for help. If you
12 don't provide enough information for an effective triage, many watchers of this
13 list will just ignore your query.
14
15 > I have sound working on the system to be installed since I'm using espeak to
16 > do the installation. Does any way to clear this error exist or it may be a
17 > warning let's see, lspci exited with a 0 errorlevel so that must have been a
18 > warning.Is it likely be unnecessary to clear this warning?
19
20 It's probably nothing to do with your sound card. It just sounds like an issue
21 with lspci. Please provide the requested information.
22
23 (P.S. The subject has nothing to do with the content. I suggest changing it to
24 something more appropriate, along the lines of "lspci cannot load libkmod"?)
25
26 [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/kmod/kmod.git/about/
27 [2] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/20683
31 Ashley Dixon