From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cloned partition won't emerge some packages
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 22:22:29
1 On Sunday 09 January 2011 21:11:02 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Mick writes:
3 > > I used:
4 > > tar -X file.list -lcvSf - . | (cd /new_gentoo_partition; tar -xpvf - )
5 > >
6 > > to clone a gentoo / partition to another partition on the same disk (I
7 > > want to run some tests from it).
8 > >
9 > > The file.list has this is in it:
10 > >
11 > > tmp/*
12 > > proc/*
13 > > sys/*
14 > > dev/*
15 > > etc/mtab
16 > > usr/portage/distfiles/*
17 >
18 > Which also excludes /usr/include/sys, not only /sys. And so on. You
19 > probably have to rewrite this as ./tmp/* , but I did not test this.
20 >
21 > And I just learnt that -l is no longer a synonym for --one-file-system,
22 > at least for tar 1.25. I'd do it with a bind mount this:
23 >
24 > mount -o bind / /mnt
25 > cd /mnt
26 > tar -cvSf - . | (cd /new_gentoo_partition; tar -xpvf - )
27 >
28 > This way, the original /dev is being copied (including entries console
29 > and null), without the udev stuff that is mounted on top of /dev, while
30 > with --one-file-system only the empty /dev directory would be created.
31
32 Thanks Wonko, it seems that I fell victim to my regex ignorance. I started
33 with /tmp, but that would also exclude the directories and I didn't fancy
34 creating them manually afterwards. Also dir/* does not include dir/.*
35
36 What shall I use for excluding all the contents of a directory, but not the
37 directory itself?
38
39 I'll need to experiment some more.
42 Regards,