From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommended amd64 box for Gentoo
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 03:20:35
1 On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:04:58 -0600
2 "Michael Madden" <darkspleen@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Could someone recommend an amd64 box to use with Gentoo 2006.0?
5 > I had considered one of the following workstations; has anyone had
6 > good or bad experience with these workstations and Gentoo for amd64?
7 >
8 > HP xw9300
9 > Sun Ultra 40
10 > IBM IntelliStation A Pro
11 > Alienware MJ-12 7550a
14 No.
15
16 Shuttle XPC SN95G5 V3 - typing this email now
17 Nvidia 6600GT Gfx card, though it's seen several others. This
18 system was built early 2005.
19
20 Penguin Computing 1U server - been running since 2004, 2P Opteron
21
22 Self-built 2P Opteron Tyan K8W S2885 motherboard, running since 2004.
23 Nvidia 6600GT gfx card. Started out with an Nvidia 5900XT. It
24 lost one cpu - memory controller went bad last year. Upgraded both
25 cpus and now have powernowd running doing dynamic frequency control.
26
27 Self-built 2P Opteron MSI motherboard, built 2004, motherboard lost memory
28 traces in 2005. Now dead.
29
30 All have run Gentoo, though the Penguin Computing server started out with SLES 8,
31 that basically sucked. SLES 9 and SLES 10 are better, but it's a critical lab server and
32 I won't run software we test on something critical like that.
33
34 Bob
35 -
36 --