From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on a cell?
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 17:00:35
1 On 2/19/20 7:57 AM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > On 19/2/20 10:29 am, William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 19/2/20 4:16 am, james wrote:
5 >>> So,
6 > [snip]
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>> James
12 > [snip]
13 >>
14 >> Easier and more practical would be to install LibreOS. You can build ii
15 >> yourself and build/include your own software as needed - I did it many
16 >> times with its Cyanogenmod predecessor (I presume you still can).� There
17 >> are some other stacks suitable for phones such as sailfish and even
18 >> android can be built yourself (and you can defang/customise it while
19 >> doing it - google not needed and if you dont install GAPPS it still
20 >> works fine)
21 >>
22 > [snip]
23 >
24 > This is the most painless way of doing this. I have been using Gentoo
25 > since the early naughties and love the customisation etc but on a phone,
26 > not worth the pain. Ride off someone else's coat tails and the one I use
27 > is LineageOS [1]. Except for the occasional blob for the wireless bits
28 > and pieces which need a bit of ferretting around for, it just runs.
29 >
30 > ����Andrew
31 > [1] https://lineageos.org/
32
33 Andrew; I'll have to look into LineageOS. Still, a gentoo based,
34 portable stack for Arm and Snapdragon and other processors, are
35 straightforward with gentoo sources. Having multiple stack (cell-OS
36 buildouts) to run from via controlled semantics, is a good idea, imho.
37
38 Switching between several different embedded OSes on a cell phone, is an
39 intriguing idea. THANKS for that IDEA. Multiboot cell phones; totally
40 awesome ?
43 5G is paramount for me. Most are not aware, but 5G basically allows for
44 any person in good standing legally, to act as a pseudo-carrier, retail
45 or wholesale or free or (?). The most awesome features of 5G are not
46 being discuss publically, because there are many entrepreneurial
47 actions centric to 5G. 5G will be bigger than the current carrier/gov
48 based internet, more secure, and controlled by the equipment (that means
49 you and me) owner/operators. 5G is very security oriented, both in the
50 communications domain and the RF domain.
53 One new method of security is to use 'multi-path' over Rf links, that
54 are not regular (non-recurrent). The communications algorithms,
55 mathematically, are known as "walk-once" basically no repeated patterns.
58 That alone is but one "game_changer" baked into 5G. I just think Gentoo
59 needs to be on the 'forefront' of this communications revolution; hth.
63 thanks,
64 James