From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:08:09
1 behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes <at> waltdnes.org> wrote:
5 > > In my make.conf I have...
6 > > USE_BASE="-* a52 aac bzip2 cxx fortran ncurses netifrc nptl nptlonly
7 > > nsplugin offensive openssl posix
8 > readline ssl threads vim-syntax zlib"
9 > > USE_CPU="mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 ssse3"
10 > > USE_VIDEO="X dga dri exif ffmpeg flac classic gif intel jpeg mng mp3
11 > > mpeg ogg opengl png rtmp theora tiff
12 > truetype vorbis xcomposite webm x264 xpm xv xvid xvmc"
13 > > USE="${USE_BASE} ${USE_CPU} ${USE_VIDEO}"
14 >
15 > The way that you have managed the USE flag is neat, and I will do the same.
16 > Thanks for your help.
19 Howdy Behrouz,
20
21 Gentoo is a very wonderful OS, and we have lots of "Special" folks
22 that are very capable, wise but often tainted, as you will discover.
23
24 Walter, like myself, is a minmalist. Others are right too, that your first
25 journey into "Gentoo" you need to follow the beaten path for a while
26 before you venture out, naked and alone. We've all borked a system or 2,
27 some abuse the that honor........
28
29 YOU have chosen a somewhat minimalist path with your desktop, wisely
30 avoiding "bloat_ware_city". But, to avoid pain do keep some minimal
31 collection of flags. Python is CRITICAL on gentoo, so ask before
32 verging out on Python!
33
34 Look at the defaults for your selected profile and what Walter has
35 suggested. jArch_Linux documentation is often useful too. When in doubt,
36 keep the flag, until you are assured it's removal will not result in a
37 broken (borked?) system. You have a lot of reading to do on the
38 www.gentoo.wiki and other gentoo pages (here are a few)
39
40 man euse (euse -i <flag> and euse -<flag>)
41 eix <package> (man eix)
42 man equery
43
44 gentoolkit (is your swiss army knife for gentoo)
45
46 http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml#doc_chap1
47
48 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC
49 (hopefully, you are using openrc and not systemd ?)
50
51 http://swift.siphos.be/linux_sea/
52
53 (Sven is a great human! He not only overseas much of the documentation,
54 he one of the SeLinux folks, should you venture into those waters)
55
56 This is not a complete list of good reading by any means, but a start.
59 good hunting!
60 James