From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Compiling first and then installing using -K
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 00:01:59
1 On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 4:32 PM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 18/02/2020 01:21, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 6:00 PM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
5 wrote:
6 > >> Hm. I'm too chicken to try it because I'm not sure it does what I think
7 > >> it does, but does the "--ephemeral" option pretty much do *exactly*
8 what
9 > >> Dale was asking about? Can you start your current "/" as a container
10 > >> as-is, emerge packages in it and save them as binaries, then install
11 > >> those from the outside, then shutdown the container and all is
12 forgotten?
13 > >
14 > > Obvious way to test this would be to just set up a VM. It has the
15 > > obvious advantage of always being in-sync with your host config.
16 > >
17 > > I think I might actually try playing around with this. I'm on zfs
18 > > though so I'm not sure how it will perform.
19 >
20 > I just tested it in a throw-away Ubuntu VM running on ext4. It crashed
21 > and burned due to disk space. It tried to duplicate the whole "/" with
22 > zero error checks. So free space reached 0 but it still didn't abort. I
23 > had to abort with ctrl+c. Free space was then 200MB (out of 20GB). I did
24 > "du -sh /*" to find where all the GBs went, but it doesn't find it.
25 >
26 > So... yeah. Not very convincing implementation. Don't try it at home,
27 > kids :-P
30 Ouch!