From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] overlays being ignored by portage
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:54:50
1 on Tuesday 03/27/2007 Neil Bothwick(neil@××××××××××.uk) wrote
2 > On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:08:37 -0400, John covici wrote:
3 >
4 > > > So what makes you think portage is ignoring them?
5 >
6 > > Well, two things, -- I was trying to emerge a package which had a
7 > > higher version in the overlay and which I had put in my
8 > > /etc/portage/package.keywords file, but I got a reinstall of the
9 > > existing package instead. And second when it was working after the
10 > > rebuild info it would say [1] <overlay directory>
11 > > [2] <another overlay directory> but it is not saying that now. Am I
12 > > missing something here?
13 >
14 > This would also happen if your package.keywords entry was incorrect. eix,
15 > after running update-eix, should indicate overlay packages, even when
16 > they have the same version number as in the main portage tree.
17
18 OK, well I am getting interesting results -- when I did this before I
19 took all the packages in the overlay tree and simply put ~x86 after
20 each one and put each line in /etc/portage/package.keywords -- there
21 were 1 or two which I had to put in package.unmask, but generally this
22 worked. Now, according to eix, the packages are now masked not just
23 by keyword, so I would have to put them all in package.unmask. I
24 wonder what happened to change this? And portage does not tell you
25 that you have a package which is masked even in verbose mode -- should
26 it do so? It does tell you if its by keyword, but not by package.mask
27 somewhere.
31 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
32 How do
33 you spend it?
34
35 John Covici