From: Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about systemd logging
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:26:15
1 On Thursday 10 January 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@×××××××××.net>
3 wrote:
4 > > I have temporarily shelved my problem with mounting since my work-around
5 > > seems adequate. But I have some questions about logging. Journald works
6 > > fine but what am I supposed to see on the main console?
7 >
8 > What do you mean by "main console"? tty1? tty12? /dev/console?
9 >
10 > > All I can see is a few
11 > > kernel messages which cease after the lvm service completes. There are no
12 > > service starting messages and no login prompt appears. The other ttys
13 > > have a banner and prompt as usual.
14 >
15 > systemd by default only spawns 1 (one) tty, tty1:
16 >
17 > $ ls /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/
18 > getty@××××.service
19 >
20 > That's the only login prompt spawned by default. The other virtual
21 > consoles get spawned automatically if you switch to them. In other
22 > words, if you never switch to the virtual console 2, there is no login
23 > prompt there. It will appear until you switch to it. systemd should
24 > switch to tty1 and launch getty@××××.service automatically when the
25 > getty.target is reached in the boot process.
26 >
27 > I'm not really sure what the problem is; if you are concerned by the
28 > "[ OK ]" messages when booting, it is possible that systemd is so fast
29 > that you have no chance to see them (that happens in my laptop with a
30 > solid state harddrive). Also, if you have a splash (like plymouth),
31 > the whole point of the splash is that you don't see said messages. You
32 > can see a copy of the "boot log" in /var/log/boot.log; that it's what
33 > you are supposed to see when booting, but if you have a splash you
34 > won't, or maybe it will be so fast that you will miss it.
35 >
36 > > Secondly I want to merge the journal into syslog-ng for post-processing.
37 > > I have the correct syslog-ng service defined and syslog-ng.conf has been
38 > > modified to use /run/systemd/journald/syslog as a source unix-stream.
39 > > But I see no systemd messages appearing. In the Gentoo package all the
40 > > journald.conf statements are commented out, which ones are necessary to
41 > > do what I want. I have tried the "logging_to_syslog/kmsg" options but to
42 > > no effect, but there are many!
43 >
44 > I switched from syslog-ng to rsyslog around three years ago, and
45 > exclusively to the journal some months ago, so this is from memory:
46 >
47 > 1. You need to link your syslog service unit to
48 > /etc/systemd/system/syslog.service; for example:
49 >
50 > /etc/systemd/system/syslog.service ->
51 > /usr/lib/systemd/system/syslog-ng.service
52 >
53 > 2. You need to set LogTarget=syslog (or LogTarget=syslog-or-kmsg) in
54 > /etc/systemd/system.conf. You are configuring *systemd* to use a third
55 > party syslog; you don't need to configure the journal itself.
56 >
57 > man 5 systemd.conf
58 > man 1 systemd
59 >
60 > If I recall correctly, that's it. systemd automatically will buffer
61 > the early boot messages until your preferred syslog service start, and
62 > from that point on it will send the logs to it immediately.
63
64 Thanks for the tips, now I can get more output to tty1 if I want. I still
65 can't get any systemd messages to syslog-ng, however. A bit of a mystery.
66
67 Cheers
68 -Robin
69 --
71 Robin Atwood.
72
73 "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
74 Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
75 from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling