From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Oops when mounting (some) XFS volumes
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 23:14:48
1 On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm at the end of my rope with this problem and I'm hoping that people
3 > here can help. I have a few boxes that are Oops'ing on startup due to
4 > mounting some xfs volumes. I created a machine with the 2008.0 live
5 > cd and the stage3-i686-hardened tarball. I'm using xfs on top of lvm2
6 > and some xfs volumes will mount while others won't. I first noticed
7 > this in 2.6.27-hardened-r3, but I've since compiled
8 >
9 > 2.6.24-gentoo-r8 (same kernel as livecd)
10 > 2.6.27-gentoo-r7
11 > 2.6.27.10 (vanilla)
12 >
13 > and they all have the same problem. home, tmp, usr, and var are all
14 > xfs volumes (on top of lvm) but only var refuses to mount. I'm using
15 > the same kernel config (albeit churned through make oldconfig) to
16 > eliminate and discrepancies but I don't think it's kernel related as
17 > they all do it (or I'm configuring the kernel incorrectly). Here's a
18 > quick summary of the relevant livecd utils and what I currently have
19 > on my box:
22 > livecd
23 > xfs 2.9.7
24 > lvm libary 2.02.28
25 > lvm library version 1.02.22
26 > lvm driver version 4.12.0
27 >
28 > my box
29 > xfs 2.10.1
30 > lvm libary 2.02.36
31 > lvm library version 1.02.24
32 > lvm driver version 4.12.0
33 >
34 > I've looked through b.g.o, gmane and google but I couldn't find
35 > anything relevant. I'm attaching a trimmed version of dmesg with the
36 > errors and my emerge --info.
37 >
38 > Thanks!
39 > BTW, I just used a different fs on another machine with this problem
40 > but either something is broken and should be fixed, or I'm doing
41 > something incorrectly and need to be educated.
44 That's really strange. It looks like a memory leak or something... I
45 would suspect corrupt partition or bad hardware, but if it happens to
46 multiple machines that seems highly unlikely. If you boot from a
47 non-gentoo liveCD can you mount them without the oops? Perhaps you can
48 file an XFS bug on http://oss.sgi.com/bugzilla/ or query the XFS