From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is my machine too old for virtualbox?
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 15:16:30
1 On 09/27/2009 06:28 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I installed Sun's virtualbox manually, because portage couldn't build
3 > it. DMESG says...
4 >
5 > kvm: no hardware support
6 >
7 > ...and during bootup, I get...
8 >
9 > * Starting VirtualBox kernel module ...
10 > * modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why
11
12 Well, that's all a bit strange. 'kvm' is one of the two kernel modules
13 used by kvm (naturally) which is a completely different product from
14 vbox. kvm is great for machines with hardware virtualization support,
15 but doesn't work at all without it.
16
17 VirtualBox OTOH does not need hardware support at all and uses its own
18 kernel module name vboxdrv (has nothing to do with kvm). I'm thinking
19 you looked at the wrong part of dmesg -- but why there is an error
20 message there from kvm I can't guess.
21
22 I'm using the vbox svn repository from Sun, so I haven't tried building
23 the portage version. What problem do you see?