From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] udev and ethernet
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:52:11
1 Hello,
2
3 Hopefully, gmane.linux.gentoo.use will stay up long enough
4 to resolve this issue.
5
6 ON a i586 firewall machine I'm installing. I getting some
7 trouble with initialization of the ethernet port. For now,
8 I'm just setting up one ethernet interface and running
9 a gentoo sources 2.6.22-r5 kernel.
10
11 Neither hotplug nor coldplug are installed. Iptables and
12 such are not activated at this time.
13
14 So when the system boots, the realtek 10/100 ethernet card
15 is not getting initialized correctly. I can manually set the
16 card, using ifconfig and set the routing up so emerging additional
17 software is not an issue, nor is ssh into the machine.
18
19 Upon booting the ethernet does not work. /etc/conf.d/net
20 is setup correctly. Here's what is echoed to the screen
21 during the boot sequence:
24 udev process events
25 Setting up hotplug events
26 using netlink for hotplug events
27
28 <snip>
29
30 Starting lo
31 Bringing up lo
32 127.0.0.1/8
33 Adding routes
34 127.0.0.0/8
35 Starting eth0
36 192.168.2.33/24
37 <red> 192.168.2.33 already taken on eth0
38 <red>Error: cannot start netmount as net.eth0 could not start
39 <snip>
42 Hotplug is not installed (it was unmerged)
43 Since the machine is a K-6 i586, I used this tarball:
44 stage3-i586-2006.1.tar.bz2
45 and minimal x86 cd to bootstap the installation.
46
47 Maybe this problem is a vestige of using older
48 sources to perform the install....
49
50 Anyway any ideas on fixing this ethernet initialization problem
51 are most welcome.... (hurry with Gmane is working!)
55 James
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list