From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Lets push our disttro "Gentoo" UP - Cast your vote!
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 07:55:54
1 On Saturday 01 September 2007, Joseph wrote:
2 > Cast your vote!
3 >
4 > Of the most popular DESKTOP Linux distro's (2007 Top List) , which is
5 > the most secure?
6 > http://www.linuxsecurity.com/component/option,com_poll/task,results/id,34/
7
8 Hmm, I'm not sure. The question is which *is* the most secure distro, not
9 which can be made the most secure. A vanilla Gentoo installation (I know
10 there is no such thing with Gentoo) has no firewall installed. Any
11 application can open any port to the wind and especially with a poor security
12 policy has the potential to expose the box to an attack. More so than a
13 binary distro Gentoo relies on an intelligent configuration to be secure.
14 --
15 Regards,
16 Mick