From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: trouble with new gnome (~amd64)
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 02:17:50
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 12/08/2010 04:50 AM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> Yesterday many gnome-apps were updated to 2.32.
5 >>
6 >> There is a problem with evolution's addr book, but for me that is minor.
7 >>
8 >> However, the gnome panel doesn't work. It starts, remains running,
9 >> cannot be killed (even with -9) but does not display the panel.
10 >
11 > I agree with Keith, but I would also suggest starting with a completely
12 > clean home directory, just as a test.
13 >
14 > The easiest way to do such a test is to create a new "test" user, so you
15 > don't need to risk losing all the existing gnome settings in your regular
16 > home directory.
17 >
18 > Create a new "test" user and then log in as "test", and see if you get
19 > the same problem with the gnome panel. My guess is that everything will
20 > work normally, so you'll need to figure out what item in your regular
21 > ~/gnome-related directories is causing the gnome panel to hang.
22
23 Your guess was right! I looked in .xsession-errors and checked for
24 "failed".
25
26 I found the following msg many times
27
28 Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": libgnomebreakpad.so:
29 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
30
31 Is that a clue?
32
33 allan