From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: PORTDIR default - changing PORTDIR variable - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 12:50:58
1 On 01/10/2013 14:35, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-09-30 3:14 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 30/09/2013 19:25, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>> Alan wrote:
5 >>>> Charles wrote:
6 >>>>> But... is /usr/portage the default/recommended location? If so, then I
7 >>>>> don't think I want to move it - I generally never change defaults
8 >>>>> unless
9 >>>>> there is a very good reason to do so.
10 >
11 >>>> It's /var/portage for new installs. If you want it to be somewhere
12 >>>> else,
13 >>>> just move it and adjust make.conf
14 >
15 >>> really? so when I moved PORTDIR to /var/portage I was ahead of the rest?
16 >>> Wow...
17 >
18 >> You were ahead of me for sure :-)
19 >
20 > So... if the change from /usr/portage to /var/portage was official, is
21 > there any (official) documentation on precisely how to move it?
22 >
23 > Hmmm.... more importantly, when did this change occur? Is it possibly
24 > tied to portage 2.2? The reason I ask is, I'm still on 2.1, and man
25 > portage still has references to:
26 >
27 > /usr/portage/sets
28 > /usr/portage/metadata
29 > /usr/portage/profiles
30 > /usr/share/portage/config
31 >
32 > and man make.conf still says:
33 >
34 > PKGDIR = [path] <snip>
35 > Defaults to /usr/portage/packages.
36 >
37 > and most importantly:
38 >
39 > PORTDIR = [path] <snip>
40 > Defaults to /usr/portage.
41 >
42 > So... are you quite certain that this default has in fact changed?
43
44 Yes. The docs are out of date.
45
46 > I know that it is probably trivial, but I like to read official docs for
47 > things like this...
50 It is trivial. All that it is, is a path to where some stuff is. That's
51 all, nothing more.
52
53 Change this in make.conf:
54
55 PORTDIR="/var/portage"
56 DISTDIR="/var/distfiles"
57 PKGDIR="/var/packages"
58
59 move the directories to the new location and run any old emerge command
60 of your choice. If you left something out, you'll get a message on the
61 screen.
64 You can have these directories any place you want and nothing breaks by
65 moving them around. The only change is the shipped default. So there are
66 loads of this you could worry about in IT, this ain't one of 'em
73 Alan McKinnon
74 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com