From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lost Labyrinth
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:21:31
1 On 24 August 2005 18:34, A. Khattri wrote:
2 > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Markus [utf-8] Döbele wrote:
3 > > The code I think is not the problem. But I think it is still a lot of
4 > > work. By the way I don't like C too much (we had a C Version once and
5 > > only encountered problems all the time :-( Buffer overflows and all this
6 > > nice stuff is a big problem of this language!)
7 >
8 > You mean it requires understanding pointers and attention to detail?
9 >
10 > Yes it does.
11 >
12 > An assembly programmer should find C easy (well I did anyway).
13 >
14 > > I started as a Assembler Programmer on the Atari ST (68000 Rulez!!!)
15 >
16 > I started on the 6502, then 68000 then 8086...
17
18 Donning my asbestos suit. Cannot resist the flamebait any more. I did
19 assembler for 6502, Z80, 8085,... I am talking about real-world, commercial
20 software with several MB of assembler source. Like software for driverless
21 vehicles buzzing around in real plants among real workers.
22
23 That said, once man made fire by twisting a little twig between hands while
24 pressing it to some other wood. I prefer matches or a lighter. Even when in
25 the bush, I prefer some fire starters I can buy. Man (actually Woman in most
26 cases) once carried water in calabashes on their heads for miles on end. I
27 prefer pumps and pipes and taps. Programmers once punched their code and
28 their data into punchcards, handed them in to the data centre and hoped all
29 would go well. I prefer editors, IDEs, compilers and linkers. ;-)
30
31 Folks, we have got computing power on our desks that equals that of a medium
32 sized data centre 10 years ago. Of course, I want the bloody computer and its
33 tools to do all the sidetracking little tasks and concentrate myself on
34 algorithms and data structures and user interfaces.
35
36 If I could find enough buddies and peers I would do most of my stuff in
37 languages like smalltalk that take care of freeing memory, collecting garbage
38 and such. Again: That said, I still use C/C++ for most of my stuff.
39
40 In short: Don't scuff someone who tries to avoid the pitfalls of C/C++ by
41 using a language that does all those little things for them. Sure, I wouldn't
42 use any dialect of basic but that is another issue.
43
44 Uwe
45 (hiding behind his desk)
48 95% of all programmers rate themselves among the top 5% of all software
49 developers. - Linus Torvalds
50
51 http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)
52 --