From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mothballing a ~arch gentoo system?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 04:07:06
1 Marcus Wanner wrote:
2 > When an old (circa 2001) desktop came out of retirement a few months
3 > ago, I shuffled across Linuxes trying to find something that worked
4 > well, and finally hit on gentoo. I eventually switched to ~x86 because
5 > I was tired of using versions of apps from 6 months ago... Too make a
6 > long story short, I have a new computer now and that one is going back
7 > into retirement. I may want to use it more in future and would like to
8 > know how I would go about "mothballing" it so that if it ever needs to
9 > be used again, bringing it up to date will be as smooth and painless
10 > as possible. If I need to resurrect it, it will probably be at least a
11 > year from now. What would you recommend?
12 >
13 > Marcus
17 Portage is better but that is a while to go without a update. It mostly
18 depends on what all is updated with some sort of hiccup between the time
19 you shut it down and the time you try to update it again. If there is
20 no major problems then it wouldn't be a issue but of there is multiple
21 packages with issues, then you have a problem.
22
23 Me, I would put it in a closet or something with a ethernet cable hooked
24 up and just update it say once every 6 to 8 weeks. Just hope for the
25 best after that.
26
27 Dale
28