From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Verify uefi installation
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 12:56:47
1 On Sunday, 22 September 2019 05:22:02 BST Adam Carter wrote:
2 > After updating the BIOS on my motherboard, the system will no longer boot.
3 > The NVME drive is still recognised in the BIOS and set to the the primary
4 > boot device. However, when i originally installed the system (and assuming
5 > I remember correctly) the boot order setting in the BIOS showed something
6 > about the operating system as part of the M2 drive entry, which it doesn't
7 > now. The original BIOS is not available for download, so I tried a couple
8 > of others, including the oldest available, but no change.
9 >
10 > I can boot from a usb drive and mount the vfat /dev/nvme0n1p1 partition.
11 > The usual kernel files are there, as is EFI/gentoo/grubx64.efi
12 >
13 > What can I do to verify the OS installation?
14
15 The UEFI menu will present you with a list of bootable devices. The UEFI
16 firmware will probe connected devices to find anything which can provide
17 booting (from hard drives, to USB devices, to network ports) and list them.
18 Among those the grubx64.efi ought to be listed as an available option.
19
20 If not, you can use the efibootmgr to set it as a bootable image in the UEFI
21 firmware. Boot with a Live-USB and follow this page:
22
23 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Efibootmgr
24
25 Of course, grubx64.efi will only boot OS kernels it has been configured to
26 boot with. So, make sure while you're in the Live-USB environment and have
27 chrooted into your installation, you run 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/
28 grub.cfg' or what is appropriate for your boot filesystem.
29
30 HTH.
31 --
32 Regards,