From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage telling me what it's doing
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 06:28:38
1 On Jun 2, 2012 1:13 PM, "Andrew Lowe" <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi all,
4 > I've just kicked off an "emerge -NuD world" and will now head out
5 for a while. My emerge has to do, amongst others, gcc, libreoffice, Firefox
6 & Thunderbird. Now when I get back I'll want to know where the emerge is up
7 to so, in my ignorance of portage/emerge in great depth and with only
8 compiler output spewing up the screen, I'll fire up another terminal, and
9 now don't laugh, I'll do "emerge --pretend -NuD world". That will tell me
10 what's currently being compiled as it will be the top thingy on the list.
11 There has to be a better way....
12 >
13 > Is there a way so that the terminal that the emerge is happening
14 in can display additional info? At the moment, I get:
15 >
16 > /home/agl: emerge
17 >
18 > can I get, say:
19 >
20 > /home/agl: emerge www-client/firefox
21 >
22 > by setting some config variable? Failing that is there a log file that
23 lists just what's been emerged, not a whole lot of "checking this, checking
24 that, compiling this file, linking that library, whoops, error here..."
25 sort of thing.
26 >
27 > Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
30 I never tried it while an emerge @world us running, but elogv/elogviewer
31 sorts by last emerge time.
32
33 Thus, the last package emerged -- successfully or not -- is topmost.
34
35 Rgds,