From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mostly OT: qemu sparc64 emulation
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 18:18:50
1 On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I built the gentoo qemu package [1] with support for a couple of non-x86
3 > arches. Trying the sparc64 one, I installed FreeBSD-11.1 into it. It
4 > kind of works, but:
5 >
6 > 1. It's very slow - I estimate about 5x-10x slower than an emulated x86_64,
7 > also running FreeBSD-11.1.
8 >
9 > 2. 1 processor on the host (a 4-way Phenom) is always at 100%, even
10 > when the guest is completely idle. This makes me think there is a
11 > virtual interrupt line that is always on, and this probably is the cause
12 > of #1. Again, this doesn't happen when the guest CPU is x86_64.
13 >
14 > 3. There is no emulated network device. This could be related to the
15 > ne2k_pci issue mentioned at [2]. I'd be willing to debug this, _if_ it
16 > were not for #1 and #2 ...
17 >
18 > anyone has a guess what is happening here?
19 >
20 > [1]
21 > the one in gentoo "stable" i.e. app-emulation/qemu-2.10.0
22 >
23 > [2]
24 > https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/SPARC
27 This may be unavoidable, but it would likely be best to report this on
28 the QEMU tracker or mailing list. QEMU has a fairly sophisticated JIT
29 compiler.
30
31 Cheers,
32 R0b0t1