From: Jonathan Wright <mail@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lots of network collisions - can I eliminate them?
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:16:34
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Note that there is no link for any of the 100Mb settings. This is
3 > verified looking at the switch itself as the link light turns off.
4 > Actually, I had never noticed that the 100 light was not turning on
5 > before today. so much for plug and play! (My bad...me stupido...) ;-)
6
7 Hehehe. Until you push the network, you probably would never really
8 notice. :)
9
10 > dragonfly ~ # mii-tool -r
11 > restarting autonegotiation...
12 > dragonfly ~ # mii-tool -v
13 > eth0: autonegotiation failed, link ok
14
15 I must admit - this I find quite interesting. Somewhere along the line,
16 the switch and the interface aren't talking to each other.
17
18 > OK, so something is having trouble with this negotiation stuff. I'll
19 > drag out some new cables after I send this and see what happens with
20 > that. I looked at the LinkSys switch docs again. There are no user
21 > settings that I see to get the switch to support 100Mb/S. It's
22 > supposed to be automatic.
23
24 Your cables could be an issue. For 100MBps you really need Cat5,
25 although Cat4 may be able to handle it (just not ideal). Cat5e is
26 generally the best as (IIRC) it supports up to Gigabit ethernet.
27
28 > Again, thanks very much. mii-tool is very helpful. I'll also have to
29 > look at mii-diag to see if it can help with this problem.
30
31 Depending on the two computer locations, you could try connecting the
32 two computers together via a crossover cable and seeing how the
33 autonegoition works.
34
35 I think there are some switches which require all ports/nodes to be on
36 the same speed/duplex settings as it can't handle the differences,
37 although I find that unlikely with any modern switch (personally, I'm
38 running two Netgear Switches - FS105, 5-port & FS108, 8-port, and they
39 can handle multiple node-types - all systems are on 100baseTx-FD whereas
40 my VoIP phone is 10base-HD, and they all work without a problem).
41
42 Try disconnecting one system and restarting the switch to see if one
43 node is causing a problem. Also, if you can, try a crossover cable to
44 see if it's the switch causing the problem and not the computers.
47 Jonathan Wright ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
48 ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
49 --
50 2.6.12-gentoo-r6-djnauk-b2 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
51 up 23:59, 4 users, load average: 3.98, 4.22, 4.32
52 --
53 "Earlier today, President Bush said gay marriage is immoral and
54 that heterosexual marriage must be defended, that's what he
55 said."
56
57 "You can tell Bush is serious because he said the new Axis of
58 Evil is Cher, Bette Middler and Clay Aiken."
59
60 ~ Conan O'Brien
61 --
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list