From: daniel <danstemporaryaccount@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Setting up a network
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:24:27
1 I'm having difficulty figuring out something that I think should be simple so
2 I was hoping some of the talented folk here could help me out:
3
4 Say I've been given the following public, routeable IPs to use:
5 123.123.123.10
6 123.123.123.11
7 123.123.123.12
8 123.123.123.13
9
10 And I want to put them all behind the same firewall while assigning the
11 public IPs to the protected machines:
12
13 +- 123.123.123.11
14 |
15 123.123.123.10 --+- 123.123.123.12
16 |
17 +- 123.123.123.13
18
19 Ideally, I'd like to have a number of non-routeable IPs available by way of
20 one of these two options:
21
22 +- 123.123.123.11
23 |
24 123.123.123.10 --+- 123.123.123.12
25 |
26 +- 123.123.123.13
27 |
28 +- 192.168.1.1
29 |
30 +- 192.168.1.2
31
32 OR
33
34 +- 123.123.123.11
35 |
36 123.123.123.10 --+- 123.123.123.12
37 |
38 +- 123.123.123.13 --+- 192.168.1.1
39 |
40 +- 192.168.1.2
41
42 How do you do this? Up until recently, I've just assigned all of the
43 routeable IPs to the firewall and forwarded the appropriate ports to the
44 servers behind -- but ALL the servers behind the firewall are using
45 192.168.0.0/16 ips at that stage.
46
47 I thought I could just allow Linux to forward the packets, but I couldn't
48 figure out the routing since I'm not dealing with a whole subnet, only a few
49 allocated IPs.
50
51 Someone care to shed some light here?
52
53
54 --
55 the more law and order are made prominent,
56 the more thieves and robbers there will be.
57 - lao-tsu
58 --
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list