From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 14:16:12
1 On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 8:13 AM Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Actually this had me thinking what is the need to back up the ... Internet?
4
5 I'm sure the NSA knows the answer to this. Based on discussions I've
6 had with people who are into such things they basically have their own
7 Wayback machine, except it obviously doesn't respect robots.txt or
8 takedown requests.
9
10 I kind of wish the NSA sold IT services to the general public. I just
11 assume they probably have root on all my devices and their own backups
12 of everything on them. It would be nice if I had a disaster if I
13 could just pay them to buy back a copy of my data, instead of having
14 to have my own completely redundant backups.
15
16 I'm personally using duplicity for encrypted cloud backups of the
17 stuff that is most critical (documents, recent photos, etc), AWS
18 Glacier for stuff I want long-term backups of (older photos mostly),
19 and then bacula to store local copies of everything I have any
20 interest in because that is easier than trying to restore it all off
21 of Amazon if I lose an array or whatever. AWS Glacier is actually
22 pretty cheap for backup, but be prepared to pay a fair bit for
23 restoration. I'd only need to go to them in a serious disaster like a
24 house fire, so having to pay $100 or whatever to get them to mail me a
25 hard drive with my data isn't really that big of a deal. My backups
26 are generally one-way affairs.
29 Rich