From: Coert Waagmeester <lgroups@××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] hdparm and write caching
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:14:06
1 Hello all,
2
3 Running a box with 2x1TB software raid disks.
4 A while back I read up about disk write caching and it's pros/cons.
5
6 I then decided to disable it on my box.
7 Edited /etc/conf.d/hdparm and added -W0 for sata_all_args.
8 And added it to the default runlevel.
9
10 It works, on bootup it turns off write caching.
11 But a while later when KDE is up and running and I check with hdparm -W
12 /dev/sd? write caching is on again.
13
14 Now, I have two questions,
15 How can I find out what turned it back on, and how can I prevent it?
16
17 Is it necessary/prudent to turn it off in the first place?
18
19 At the moment I run a cron job that checks every 10 minutes and turns it
20 off if it is enabled. But that feels like a somewhat ugly solution...
23 Kind regards,
24 Coert Waagmeester