From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] NoSQL?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 19:36:00
1 On Tuesday 02 March 2010 19:07:21 walt wrote:
2 > On 03/02/2010 04:23 AM, Arttu V. wrote:
3 > > On 3/2/10, walt<w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> This article was a big surprise to me. Am I the last one to hear about
5 > >> this stuff?
6 > >>
7 > >> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10461670-16.html?part=rss&amp;subj=new
8 > >> s&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20
9 > >
10 > > If you're expecting a discussion then perhaps you'd care to narrow it
11 > > down a bit: which part of the article are we expected to feel
12 > > surprised about?
13 >
14 > I was surprised that three major social networking sites have dumped
15 > MySQL (but now the article says only two sites). I've also not heard
16 > of the "NoSQL" movement before, and I'm curious to know what's motivating
17 > it. Maybe nobody trusts Oracle?
18
19 Because Codd's relational database model, as implemented by Oracle, Sybase,
20 PostgreSQL, MSSQl and a slew of others, is not the only way to model a data
21 storage system (aka database). In much the same way that a bakkie with a
22 canopy is not the only way to transport workers, as buses do exist.
23
24 Relational databases are demonstrably mathematically correct, but like all
25 things they have their limits to how far they can scale. More often than not,
26 this limit is imposed by how fast the db engine can access and identify data
27 using the hardware upon which it is built. Traditional RDBMSes don't even
28 vaguely scale to the levels Facebook runs at.
29
30 The NoSQL movement is nothing more than an effort to find other ways of
31 extracting data having consciously ditched SQL for the job. By way of example
32 (this is not NoSQL per se, it illustrates the point), Google's data extraction
33 methods are not even remotely SQL. Heck, they aren't even completely correct,
34 they are merely "good enough". See what happens when you dump the old mind-set
35 and look at fresh new ideas? Oftentimes you get something that works better
36 than the old way. Google does not care that their search results are not 100%
37 spot on, they are good enough for your query. If other stuff that they missed
38 deserves to be higher in the ratings, it will climb higher over time till it
39 does show. Considering the size of Google, this is a very workable approach.
44 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com