From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Odd artifacts on screen
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 09:30:23
1 On Friday 19 January 2007 14:30, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Recently I've noticed that I tend to get strange smudging effects on
5 > text displayed in X. I've attached a small (5k) .png that shows the
6 > effect (it's the smudge on the word "have").
7 >
8 > I've been trying to narrow down some common factors to find what's
9 > behind it all. Here's my conclusions:
10 >
11 > It's not kde, as I get it in gnome as well
12 > It's not gnome for the same reason.
13 > It's not a kde lib as I get it in firefox too.
14 > It only affects text in the client window, the wm decorations are always
15 > OK, as is the menus, tab labels, graphics, etc, etc. It's also
16 > noticeable in konsole.
17 >
18 > I don't recall seeing it when I used fglrx, so I presume it started when
19 > I reverted back to the radeon driver. The logs show no errors but a few
20 > warnings that might be related (details below). Refreshing the display
21 > tends to make these effects go away, as does moving the pointer out of
22 > and back into the window client area.
23
24 I am using the Radeon driver with a Radeon Mobility M6 LY card, and similar
25 artifacts sometimes appear on OpenOffice and when viewing large pdf documents.
26 AIGLX will give a list of warnings and then will load:
27
28 (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30
29 (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31
30 (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32
31 (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/radeon_dri.so
32 (II) GLX: Initialized DRI GL provider for screen 0
33
34 I've just learned to live with it (since I haven't found a solution yet).
35 --
36 Regards,
37 Mick