From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 38.1.0 :-(
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2015 15:19:50
1 On Thursday 30 Jul 2015 19:59:25 you wrote:
2 > On Thursday 30 Jul 2015 19:23:03 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 > > Hello, Gentoo.
4 > >
5 > > Over the course of the last 24 hours, Firefox 38.1.0 became stable in
6 > > portage, so I merged it in.
7 > >
8 > > What a mistake!
9 > >
10 > > All my existing configuration (including for NoScript+), all my
11 > > bookmarks, all record of previous visits to site - gone, deleted,
12 > > vanished. I'm not happy about that.
13 > >
14 > > The usability of the program has gone down, down, down. Not a lot seems
15 > > to work properly, anymore. For example, it used to be that you could
16 > > mark a selection of "your" cookies then delete them in one operation.
17 > > Now you have to mark a single cookie and delete it, mark the next cookie
18 > > and delete it, .... Even the screen area where the current URL is
19 > > displayed is now displayed in low-contrast miniscule type, so that I can
20 > > barely read it.
21 > >
22 > > What on earth are the upstream developers thinking about? Destroying
23 > > somebody's configuration is not a nice thing to do.
24 > >
25 > > I've a feeling that all this must have been discussed here quite
26 > > recently, so apologies if I'm dredging up old stuff. Still, a
27 > > recommendation as to how I might proceed would be welcome. Should I go
28 > > back to 31.8.0 and stay there, or would I be better going with some fork
29 > > of firefox?
30 > >
31 > > Has my old config/cookies/... actually been physically destroyed, or is
32 > > it just being disregarded by 38.1.0? Looking at my ~/.mozilla/firefox
33 > > doesn't give me much hope.
34 > >
35 > > Yours, in anger.
36
37 [snip ...]
38 > Someone else has already posted about losing their FF profile and settings.
39 > This however has not happened here.
40 >
41 > Sorry I can't shed more light on this problem.
42
43 Until it happened here too ... :-(
44
45 So, I find myself with one box having the problem of ALWAYS wanting to start
46 up with some 'dev-edition-default' profile, which has a dark bacground theme
47 and is void of previous user settings. The old profile with the user's
48 bookmarks, extensions, etc. is called 'default'. Firefox starts with the
49 Profile Manager pop-up giving me a choice which profile to use, but selecting
50 the 'default' profile and asking it not to ask again at start up does not work
51 as expected. The 'default' profile selection does not stick. Deleting the
52 new 'dev-edition-default' profile causes it to be recreated afresh at the next
53 start up.
54
55 Anyway, the box without this problem does not have USE="bindist" set, while
56 the PC with the above problem does. I just removed bindist from make.conf
57 (not sure why it was there) and I rebuilt Firefox. The stuck dev-edition-
58 fault profile problem is gone! :-)
59
60 HTH.
63 Regards,