From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Opinions on DVR/PVR backend?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 23:11:01
1 On 2018-01-26, Taiidan@×××.com <Taiidan@×××.com> wrote:
2
3 > So you know the RPI is not open source as the RPI foundation doesn't
4 > provide firmware sources.
5
6 Yes, I'm aware of that.
7
8 [...]
9
10 > I would consider purchasing another device, of which legitimately
11 > open source low power ARM devices are a dime a dozen (vs the high
12 > performance realm where POWER's TALOS 2 or rare developer boards are
13 > the only choice)
14
15 The problem with purchasing less common but more "open" boards is that
16 it tends to be a lot more work to get things running on them.
17
18 I don't get particularly upset if a cheap, throw-away board like the
19 RP3 uses closed-source firmware -- all the underlying chips are
20 closed-source designs also.[*] As long as that firmware is part of a
21 driver that provides a standardized, open, documented API, I'm happy.
22
23 If the board/firmware/driver becomes unavailable, the open-source
24 applications and libraries can always be moved to a different
25 board/firmware/driver combination that implements that same
26 standardized API.
27
28 [*] Sure, you can run low-performance, high-cost "open-source HW"
29 designs by combining open-source VHDL cores and compiling a SOC
30 design into an FPGA, but the FPGAs and all the tools used to
31 compile the VHDL are closed source.
34 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My NOSE is NUMB!
35 at
36 gmail.com