From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drive RPMs and data speed.
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 20:47:41
1 Am Montag 31 Oktober 2011, 17:21:23 schrieb Alex Schuster:
2 > Michael Mol writes:
3 > > My point is that the numbers aren't what mattered here. My point is
4 > > that SAMSUNG sold me a shoddy product, replaced it with another
5 > > instance of the the same shoddy product, wouldn't replace it again,
6 > > and never addressed a detailed technical report of a systemic problem
7 > > in the same. Bad tech, bad customer service, and it looked like this
8 > > was a more common scenario than among other manufacturers. All of it
9 > > boiled down to a nasty case of being a bad candidate for spending time
10 > > and money.
11 >
12 > Samsung, uh? Here's my story of today. My fried just bought two external
13 > USB drives. I wanted to know which brand the HD is, so I checked with
14 > hdparm -I, and googled for SAMSUNG HD204UI. I found a story about a bug
15 > which makes the drive sometimes forget to write a block when it is
16 > attached to a SATA adapter in AHCI mode and when the ATA command
17 > "IDENTIFY DEVICE" is sent (like in hdparm -I or when using the
18 > smartmontools). There is a firmware patch for this, this is good. But on
19 > the annoying side:
20 >
21 > - You need to make a DOS boot floppy and copy the patch there.
22
23 nope, just use systemrescuecd. It has a freedos boot image (or had.. last time
24 I needed it.. was long ago)
25
26 > - The new firmware has exactly the same revision number. How stupid is
27 > this?? I cannot even find out whether the drives have the problem or
28 > not. Except by trying to reproduce the problem.
29
30 yes, that is stupid. but you can just run the patch agan.
33 > Here's a link to the but I described, but It's German only.
34 > http://www.heise.de/ct/meldung/Firmware-Patch-fuer-Samsung-Festplatte-EcoGre
35 > en-F4-HD204UI-Update-1150154.html I also read some angry comments about
36 > Samsung there. Question is, are other manufacturers better? And wasn't
37 > Samsung Electronics bought by Seagate anyway?
40 yes
43 > Any idea whether an external USB drive case might count as a SATA
44 > controller in AHCI mode? I tried to trigger the bug, but that did not
45 > happen, so I guess it's fine, at least when being in the USB case.
46
47 none. Get esata.
50 > Another problem is that data access frequently stalls on her PC, like when
51 > transferring data or doing a mke2fs. After a while, this message appears
52 > in syslog, and the process continues for a while, until it happens again:
53 >
54 > usb 1-4: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
57 your case is crap.
58
59 > Same problem with a GRML boot cd and on another USB port. Happens with
60 > both drives. But it is fine on my PC.
63 #163933