From: Lee <ny6p01@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] qbittorrent crashes after to many files open error
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 20:27:55
1 Divine punishment perhaps?
2
3 Lee 😎
4
5 On Wed, Sep 7, 2022, 10:26 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6
7 > Howdy,
8 >
9 > As some know, I discovered torrentting a while back. It has caused
10 > issues ever since. LOL I recently upgraded qbittorrent. Other than
11 > having to limit some speed settings since it would make my desktop
12 > response slow, it has worked OK, better than ktorrent at least. Then a
13 > couple days ago, perhaps related to a upgrade, it would crash. In the
14 > notifications I would find a error like below. I have changed the names
15 > to protect the innocent. ;-)
16 >
17 > An I/O error occurred for torrent 'ABCDEF'.
18 > Reason: ABCDEF file_open (/home/dale/Desktop/Videos/ABCDEF error: Too
19 > many open files
22 > I did a google search and found out more info which lead me to this
23 > eventually:
26 > https://www.tecmint.com/increase-set-open-file-limits-in-linux/
27 >
28 > Then this:
29 >
30 > root@fireball / # sysctl fs.file-max
31 > fs.file-max = 3289952
32 > root@fireball / # sysctl -w fs.file-max=32899520
33 > fs.file-max = 32899520
34 > root@fireball / # cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
35 > 32899520
38 > So, I increased the limit on open files by a factor of ten, I added a
39 > zero on the end. It was easy enough and didn't require a calculator or
40 > other fancy maths. Question is, is this a better fix or could it just
41 > be qbittorrent itself having issues? Could there be more to this or
42 > something else causing this error?
43 >
44 > I was using qbittorrent-4.4.5 but downgraded to qbittorrent-4.4.4. I'm
45 > hoping one or the other will fix this crashing issue. It did only start
46 > after the upgrade but could be a coincidence to I guess.
49 > By the way, the 10TB drive I bought a couple weeks or so ago, well, this
50 > is it now.
51 >
52 > /dev/mapper/10tb 9.1T 8.7T 345G 97% /mnt/10tb
55 > The 14TB is supposed to be here this weekend. I have really got to
56 > create a solution to this. My current plan, make the 14TB my backup
57 > drive. Put the 10TB in my rig, for now. It's getting full too. ROFL
58 > I could cut off the internet I guess. ROFLMBO
61 > Thoughts on the files open error? Qbittorrent crashing? Anyone else
62 > ran into this before? Proper solution? Better solution?
65 > Dale
66 >