From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Anyone using kernel 4.1.8 in a virtualbox guest machine?
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 00:47:57
1 (I'm asking this question only because I'm curious about the problem I'm
2 about to describe. I've already worked around it.)
3
4 I updated the kernel in my gentoo virtualbox guest machine to 4.1.8 and
5 got a kernel panic after rebooting the guest. (The panic was in the
6 guest machine, not the host machine. Has anyone noticed how ambiguous
7 our English language is?)
8
9 Anyway, I rebooted the guest machine with vmlinuz.old (3.18.21) and
10 then updated the guest to vanilla-sources-4.2.3 with no problems.
11
12 (I omit several hours of confused reconfiguring/recompiling/rebooting
13 because you really don't want to hear about them.)
14
15 So, what is different or strange about kernel 4.1.8? Anyone have any
16 problems with it on real hardware, or in other virtual environments
17 like qemu, vmware, xen, etc?