From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Cell phone as modem
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:06:18
1 > > That kind of thing would work, the tricky part is making it work while
2 > > traveling internationally. You basically can't bring a cell phone to
3 > > a place like Costa Rica (for example), you have to buy/rent one there.
4 > > Did you read the fine print when you signed up for the temporary
5 > > Costa Rican cell service at the corner store? Do you have a Costa
6 > > Rican ISP you can dial up to? What are you being charged for
7 > > international calls home? Is there good cell reception where you're
8 > > staying? What is this costing all together?
9 >
10 > Sounds more like a Costa Rica problem than a gentoo/gsm/gprs/etc
11 > issue.. When I'm in Barbados on business I can happily use my Rogers
12 > (Canadian GSM) SE W880i as a GPRS modem. Though that requires being
13 > "happy" to pay the rather expensive data roaming charges. So although
14 > I have it with me, it's the backup option.
15 >
16 > 802.11 wireless is the primary connectivity. It used to be a huge pain
17 > finding a wireless signal but then I built a WokFi antenna. A wifi USB
18 > adapter, mesh cooking utensil, tripod and usb extension cable can be
19 > sourced for the price of a day or two of satellite access. It all
20 > collapses down nicely and hasn't failed me to date. YMMV
21
22 That sounds interesting. I had a look at the WokFi wikipedia page.
23 So you have always been able to find an unencrypted signal when you're
24 traveling? How many times has this worked? If you're on business you
25 must be staying in hotels in the middle of town right?
26
27 - Grant
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list