From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /bin/loadkeys not found after emerge -DuN world
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:23:51
1 On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 10:59 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 [...]
3 > >>
4 > > If I'm not mistaken, comments #4 and #5 (the last two comments) pertain
5 > > to you.
6 >
7 > Well, yes, but they don't say anything (to me) as best I read. Or
8 > maybe I don't understand how the folks that work in those areas talk
9 > these days.
10 >
11 I believe what comment #4 is saying is that while,
12 sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.12 fixes the issue that version is not in ppc
13 stable.
14
15 I believe what vapier is saying, albeit crudely and tersely, in comment
16 #5 is that he did is job (which was to fix the bug) and if you need the
17 fix in stable then you need to file a ppc stabilization bug. Presumably
18 vapier doesn't handle ppc stabilization bugs so he's passing the buck.
19
20 > Basically it seems it's broken for ppc, the folks in that thread
21 > understand it's broken, and then what? Those comments were two months
22 > ago.
23 >
24 If the author of comment #4 hasn't already done so, I would recommend
25 that you file a ppc stabilization bug for baselayout-1.12.12.
26
27 > I'm lost.
28
29 HTH
30
31 > I went back to kbd-1.13-r1and the problem is gone but then another
32 > problem appears where it cannot map character code 0 to some other
33 > value. I've lost that message for now as I start MythTV automatically
34 > and cannot get back in the console becuase of X messages but it's in
35 > the bug system somewhere. I found it earlier this morning.
36 >
37 Ok... but that's a separate issue...
38
39 > Anyway, I think the two sides (x86/amd64 && ppc) aren't consistently
40 > handled and that these folks know it but haven't fixed it for some
41 > reason. I only ran into it because of an update to a machine that's
42 > been gathering dust.
43
44 Not wanting to go in to a long discussion (too late for that I guess)
45 there is basically the "regular" dev folks, who presumably vapier
46 belongs to, and then there are the arch teams (the above is 3 sides,
47 actually; not two) who handle testing and stabilization on a particular
48 platform. These are not always the same people and, as often the case
49 in the Gentoo development world, one side doesn't necessarily know/care
50 what the other side is doing. Even between the arch teams there is
51 little "consistency" i.e. the x86 arch team doesn't care what's
52 happening in the ppc world. Vapier handles the software, but he doesn't
53 necessarily mess with the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS variable. That's why he's
54 requesting you open another bug for that.
55
56 -a