From: Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa in-kernel vs. alsa-lib
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:04:45
1 On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Pupino <pupinux@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > i was used to intall alsa-lib and co. and use tools like alsamixer to
4 > manage the audio on my gentoo; now i've tryied to switch to the
5 > in-kernel way.
6 > I've built the relevant part into the kernel, no module, but now i'm stuck.
7 > If i try to emerge alsa-utils (wich has alsamixer) it pulls in also
8 > alsa-lib, alsa-header, etc...
9 > is this the correct behaviour? i tought i'll get rid of those
10 > packages(-header, -lib) switching to the in-kernel drivers.
11 alsa-lib and alsa-headers are unrelated to the kernel modules.
12 alsa-lib and alsa-headers are userspace.
13 If you ditch alsa-lib and go full kernel:
14 Will you have sound? Maybe.
15 Will alsa-using apps be able to use it? Absolutely not. They need alsa-lib.
20 Andrey Vul
21
22 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
23 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
24 A: Top-posting.
25 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?