From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Pariksheet Nanda <pariksheet.nanda@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Persistence of ZFS /dev/zvol/rpool/swap
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 04:00:16
1 I followed the same guide and don't have this issue.
2 Did you enable all ZFS services into the correct runlevels?
5 Joost
6
7 On November 25, 2018 9:36:35 PM UTC, Pariksheet Nanda <pariksheet.nanda@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >Hi folks,
9 >
10 >I've followed fearedbliss' guide for installing Gentoo on ZFS [1] and
11 >am
12 >trying to understand why /dev/zol/rpool/swap does not show up on reboot
13 >even though I saw it initially when creating the zvol and can still see
14 >it
15 >with zfs list:
16 >
17 >xm2 ~ # zfs list
18 >NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
19 >rpool 29.1G 176G 96K none
20 >rpool/HOME 4.98G 176G 4.98G /home
21 >rpool/ROOT 7.10G 176G 96K none
22 >rpool/ROOT/gentoo 7.10G 176G 7.10G /
23 >rpool/swap 17.0G 193G 354M -
24 >xm2 ~ # ls /dev/zvol
25 >ls: cannot access '/dev/zvol': No such file or directory
26 >xm2 ~ #
27 >
28 >I'm actually surprised my system boots at all, because /etc/fstab looks
29 >for
30 >that partition to be the swap:
31 >
32 >xm2 ~ # grep ^/dev /etc/fstab
33 >/dev/zvol/rpool/swap none swap sw,discard 0 0
34 >xm2 ~ #
35 >
36 >My best guesses at the problem are either that it's udev related or
37 >that
38 >the various ZFS services need to be better configured to expose the
39 >zvol.
40 >I read the "Admin Documentation" links on the zfsonlinux.org website
41 >looking for mentions on "zvol" and the only relevant section seems to
42 >be
43 >the `zpool import` should apply `zfs share -a` to zvols [2]. Maybe I
44 >need
45 >to run `zfs share`? But that doesn't seem to help:
46 >
47 >xm2 ~ # zfs share rpool/swap
48 >cannot open 'rpool/swap': operation not applicable to datasets of this
49 >type
50 >xm2 ~ # zfs share -a
51 >xm2 ~ # ls /dev/zvol
52 >ls: cannot access '/dev/zvol': No such file or directory
53 >xm2 ~ #
54 >
55 >I haven't posted on this list in many years, so go easy on me :)
56 >
57 >Pariksheet
58 >
59 >[1]
60 >https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Fearedbliss/Installing_Gentoo_Linux_On_ZFS#Create_your_swap_zvol
61 >[2] http://open-zfs.org/wiki/System_Administration#Boot_process
64 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.