From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 19:24:10
1 On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Alexander Kapshuk
2 <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > I've been using gentoo-sources for a while now.
4 >
5 > I remember reading on this list about some users using alternative
6 > kernels on their gentoo systems. My understanding is that amongst some
7 > of the other alternatives, besides the genkernel, which I'm not
8 > interested in using, are vanilla-sources available in the portage
9 > tree, and the sources available on kernel.org.
10 > I'd appreciate being given some pointers on how the folk here maintain
11 > their alternative kernels.
12
13 I've been using vanilla-sources since September 2009, in all my
14 machines. I use systemd, so having the latest kernel version doesn't
15 hurt; a new vanilla-sources version is usually ready a few hours after
16 Linus releases a new kernel, and gentoo-sources takes at least a few
17 weeks, sometimes more.
18
19 As to how do I maintain them, I wrote a little utility that I've been
20 using from the last year or so:
21
22 https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
23
24 With it, after I install a new kernel using the normal portage
25 procedure, I just do:
26
27 eselect kernel set <new-version>
28 kerninst
29
30 And that's it. Be aware that you need to provide your own kernel configuration.
31
32 Regards.
33 --
34 Canek Peláez Valdés
35 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias