From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is a git based tree going to save me bandwidth and time?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 14:17:15
1 Am Dienstag, 3. August 2010, 08:31:38 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
2 > On 08/03/2010 08:03 AM, Sebastián Ramírez Magrí wrote:
3 > > Hi folks...
4 > >
5 > > I've been thinking about switching from a rsync based tree to a git
6 > > based one cloning [0]. The main reasons because I would do that is in
7 > > order to save bandwidth (I've a slow GSM connection in my netbook and
8 > > I sync two other gentoo boxes from the first one) and maybe time.
9 > >
10 > > So here goes the question, Is a git based tree really going to save me
11 > > an appreciable bandwidth and time on syncing?, Can I keep the same
12 > > replication functionality rsync gives me to sync my other boxes?
13 > >
14 > > [0] http://github.com/funtoo/portage/tree/gentoo.org
15 >
16 > Git needs to move much less data around than rsync. It only transfers
17 > differences, not whole files.
18
19 Not true. rsync uses delta-encoding to minimize data transfers.
20
21 Regards
22 Michael