From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strategy for using SAN/NAS for storage with Gentoo...
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:06:22
1 > 1. Are there reliability issues surrounding this technology in Gentoo?
2
3 My only experience is with a Gentoo-based iSCSI target (ie. "server");
4 my clients are windows-based. The system is a low-end Core 2 duo running
5 the latest stable kernel and Iscsi Enterprise Target; I have been
6 running this setup non-stop for a couple of years and it has proven
7 quite stable.
8
9 iSCSI is designed with a dedicated, reliable network in mind, and in my
10 experience it is quite sensitive to network connectivity issues. It is
11 best used over gigabit ethernet; fast ethernet is ok, too, if you don't
12 care about performace. Avoid WiFi if you value your data (and your
13 mental health)
14
15 > 2. Are there any howtos about putting as much of the file-system as
16 > possible onto an iSCSI device.
17
18 Google "root over iscsi". For example:
19
20 http://wpkg.org/Diskless_/_remote_boot_with_Open-iSCSI
21
22 I have _not_ tried it. It is an interesting concept, but I think that
23 the OS is better left on a local disk -- the performance penalty is way
24 too great, especially with the king of budget-oriented storage backend
25 you are considering.
26
27 > 3. What's the best (most lightweight) way to expose the disk as a
28 > block device. I don't want to manage three fully-fledged Linux boxes.
29
30 The only software you need is an iSCSI initiator: a minimal Gentoo
31 install running sys-block/iscsitarget is enough.
32
33 IET allows you to export any kind of raw block device (a disk, a
34 partition, a RAID volume,...) or even a file on a local filesystem.
35
36 Or perhaps you can look into FreeNAS (http://freenas.org), which is less
37 flexible than a full-fledged OS install but might be enough in your case.
38
39 > Can (cheap) NAS devices be used to export iSCSI to Gentoo?
40
41 If the NAS device can "speak" iSCSI, well, yes.
42
43 > 4. What would be the strategy to 'secure' this iSCSI device... it would
44 > be a disaster if my WiFi were cracked and my data corrupted from a
45 > non-authorised host.
46
47 iSCSI connections are authenticated with a challenge-response mechanism;
48 in IET you can also restrict access to specific hosts on a per-volume
49 basis. That should be enough if you are not transferring the data itself
50 over WiFi, which is a Bad Thing and should not be done.
51
52 > Snap-shots, of course, are only really valuable for non-archive data...
53 > so, in future, I could add a ZFS volume using the same iSCSI strategy.
54
55 ZFS allows you to take FS-level snapshots -- with iSCSI that would be on
56 the client, onto a network-connected volume, and I don't know what kind
57 of performance implications that has.
58
59 If you want to take snapshots on the server, my first thought would be
60 to do so at the block level using LVM. No idea if it plays well with
61 IET, though.
62
63 andrea