From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Bouncing messages from gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 18:58:44
1 On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 13:39:57 GMT you wrote:
2 > On 1/13/20 5:24 PM, (Nuno Silva) wrote:
3 > > On 2020-01-13, james wrote:
4 > >> On 1/13/20 11:32 AM, gentoo-user+owner@l.g.o wrote:
5 > >>> Some messages to you could not be delivered. If you're seeing this
6 > >>> message it means things are back to normal, and it's merely for your
7 > >>> information.
8 > >>>
9 > >>> Here is the list of the bounced messages:
10 > >>> - 189231
11 > >
12 > > How does one get to the message from that number?
13
14 In order to receive an email of the bounced message you can send an empty
15 message to the mailing list server, with the number of the message which was
16 bounced in the address, e.g. to receive a copy of the above message number
17 "189231", send this to the list:
18
19 gentoo-user+get-189231@l.g.o
20
21 HOWEVER ... your mailserver may still bounce the resent message. I just tried
22 to retrieve it manually, only for it to be bounced again silently by Gmail.
23 If I hadn't received another notice for the same bounced message number by the
24 M/L address 'gentoo-user+owner@l.g.o', I wouldn't know Gmail
25 bounced it once more. :-/
28 > > Is it possible to get
29 > > an URL to the archived copy at http://archives.gentoo.org/ using that
30 > > number?
31
32 Hmm ... not sure if this is possible, or I don't know how to receive bounced
33 messages via http. The way I do it is by following a process of elimination.
34 I check an online M/L archive service and the bounced message is the one I
35 have not received out of the list of recent messages.
38 > >> Anyone else getting these?
39
40 Yep. I do, but it may well be related to me using a Gmail to receive messages
41 and Gmail may be rejecting the odd message for some reason. I have not added
42 any recipients to a blacklist myself, so this is a Gmail action.
45 > > It might just be the DMARC policy thing again.
46 > >
47 > > Here's a thread from last October/November about a similar message:
48 > > https://marc.info/?t=157253734300001
49 >
50 > It's my list emails, where I start a new subject. Usually, I can reply
51 > to an existing thread without issue.
52
53 Hi James. I did receive your email yesterday from your verizon email address
54 about Mesos, via the M/L. It was titled "mesos updated ebuild advice?". Your
55 messages are being delivered to this M/L and Gmail distributes them without
56 bouncing as far as I can surmise:
57
58 https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-user&m=157895127422780
59
60 The messages which seem to be bounced by Gmail are sent by Mr. Alan Grimes.
61 The most recent bounced message was yesterday, titled "WTF is up with mysqld?"
64 > I've read this and still do not know what *I* need to do to fix this, or
65 > implement a workaround. I use thunderbird-(Installed versions: 68.4.1).
66
67 Nothing you need to do. If people do not respond to a message it could well
68 mean they have nothing valuable to add, rather than they haven't received it.
71 Regards,
72
73 Mick