From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Emerge order not deterministic !?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:05:27
1 On 12/11/2015 10:48, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 12/11/2015 10:29, Jörg Schaible wrote:
5 >>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> On 11/11/2015 21:35, Walter Dnes wrote:
8 >>>>> Ongoing installation. I looked at 2 instances of
9 >>>>> "emerge -pv x11-base/xorg-server" and the order was somewhat different.
10 >>>>> Here are a couple of outputs, just a few seconds apart. Is this a bug
11 >>>>> or a feature? See attachments.
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Emerge order is not deterministic, especially with parallel builds. The
16 >>>> reason is that it does not need to be according to the dep graph - if
17 >>>> two packages are at the same level and do not depend on each other, then
18 >>>> the order they are built in does not affect the final result.
19 >>>> Practically all parallel processing works this way.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> What is deterministic, is that if you build the same set of packages
22 >>>> twice and even if portage does them in different order, the binaries
23 >>>> produced are functionally identical
24 >>>
25 >>> Hmmm. And how can you then ever use
26 >>>
27 >>> emerge --resume --skip-fist
28 >>>
29 >>> if not even the first build is deterministic? I skip the first package
30 >>> anyway only if the problematic package is the first one to build after
31 >>> resume, but if I cannot even rely on that?
34 >> Because it re-uses the previous build order, not re-generate a new one.
35 >
36 > That's simply not true. Emerge resume calculates the order again and for me
37 > it starts often with a different package.
38
39 I've never noticed that. For me --skip-first has always skipped the
40 correct first package (the one that previously failed).
41
42 As long as a known build failure is not in the --resume list, I don't
43 care what the build order is because it is irrelevant. The only time it
44 becomes relevant is when an ebuild has a bug such as a missing dep. But
45 that's a bug in the ebuild and is fixed there.
49 Alan McKinnon
50 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com