From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd-224 Look out for new networking behavior [FIXED]
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 01:41:39
1 On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 14:23:18 -0400
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 11:16 AM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 08:03:11 -0700
6 > > walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
7
8 > > Oops, journalctl tells me that systemd-networkd is segfaulting
9 > > repeatedly during boot. I'm reverting back to systemd-222-r1 until
10 > > this gets sorted out.
11 >
12 > Fixed in systemd-224-r1. Next time file a bug; I don't always read
13 > this list.
14
15 Thanks Mike. The fix is amazingly simple but looking at the patch
16 makes me realize how little I understand the c language after years
17 of reading c code but not writing any :/
18
19 const char *hostname = NULL; (upstream apparently forgot the = NULL)
20
21 That line declares *hostname as a constant and then the statement below
22 proceeds to assign a value to the 'constant'. I wonder how many hours
23 of frustration have been suffered by student programmers while trying to
24 understand the logic behind that.
25
26 <coughing from the dust on my 40-year-old Kernighan and Ritchie> I see
27 that they didn't include the 'const' keyword at all. That was a later
28 change introduced by some ANSI committee, bless them.
29
30 <sigh> I truly don't understand how any working code get written.
31
32 Anyway, thanks again for the fix :)