From: james <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: GCC 5 Offloading
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 03:12:01
1 Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer <at> outlook.com> writes:
2
3 > Do you know of any plans to enable offloading on the gentoo toolchain?
4
5 NO, but I'm sure some devs are keenly aware of this feature in gcc-5.
8 > I was able to build the offloading compiler using crossdev with a few hacks
9 > and wrote an ebuild for Intel's simulator[2]. I will work on enabling the
10 > host compiler tomorrow and may open a feature request and post patches
11 > once I get it working. The changes needed to enable it on the host are
12 > pretty trivial.
13
14 Sorry Fernando, I just now saw this thread on an old thread. I think that
15 'sys-cluster/ceph' is where I'd like to test your spin on the gcc-5.
16 Ceph has RDMA (RoCE) in the 0.94 branch (in portage). You are definately
17 ahead of me on practical gcc-5 experiments with offloading and other
18 new features.
19
20 You did not list your second reference. Where I can I get/git your
21 compiler and some brief suggestions on taking it for a test drive.
22
23 I'm not much interested in the Intel simulator, atm. I like to test on
24 old gear running gentoo:: borking is no big deal, if it happens.
25 Other codes keen to test gcc-5 (offloading) on are Apache-mesos and
26 Apache-spark and mesos-distcc.
27
28 Also, per this doc [1] you can get your own gentoo overlay to put
29 things up for wider experimentation, if you like.
30
31 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Overlays/Dev_Guide
34 Very cool, what you have done,
35 James