From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Flexibility and robustness in the Linux organisim
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 16:33:30
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 29.09.2013 17:12, schrieb Greg Woodbury:
3 >> On 09/29/2013 07:58 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> things were broken way before that. As much as I hate systemd, it is not
6 >>> the root cause of the problem.
7 >>>
8 >>> The problems were caused by people saying that seperate /usr was a good
9 >>> idea, so / would not fill up and similar idiocies. The problems were
10 >>> caused by people saying that lvm is a good idea - for desktops. Those
11 >>> people who are fighting against the kernel auto assembling raids are to
12 >>> blame too.
13 >>>
14 >>> Systemd is just another point in a very long list.
15 >>>
16 >> The usr filesystem was separate from root from the very early days of
17 >> UNIX. Disks were *tiny* (compared to today) and spreading certain
18 >> things across separate spindles provided major benefits. Certainly,
19 >> the original need to require a separate usr went away fairly quickly,
20 >> but other benefits continued to encourage a seperation between root
21 >> and usr.
22 >>
23 > in the very early days /usr did not exist in the first space and was
24 > only created because someone added a harddisk.
25 >
26 > Not really a good reason to keep it around.
27
28 Nope, new reasons now. Good ones for me and quite a few others as well.
31 >> The var filesystem was for variable system data, and was never
32 >> terribly big and its inclusion on the root volume happened. The home
33 >> filesystem became traditionally separate because data expands to fill
34 >> all availab;e space, and users collect *things*
35 > and a seperate /home does not create any problems.
36 > /var is much more prone to accidentally fill up then /usr ever was.
37
38 Happened to me twice since I started using LVM. I might add, it was one
39 reason I started using LVM in the first place. I needed to be able to
40 increase the size of file systems without redoing everything. LVM does
41 that pretty well and has saved my bacon more than once.
45 > <<<SNIP>>>
46 >> As a result, the GNOME Alliance has shattered. The main GNOME army
47 >> marches on its unfathomable path, and various large chunks have broke
48 >> off in their own directions (e.g. Cinnamon and Mate) seeking to remain
49 >> flexible and not incompatible with the KDE and other lesser DE folks.
50 >>
51 >> It is truly layable at the feet of the GNOME folks, the breakage of
52 >> the root and usr filesystem separability is all derived from the GNOME
53 >> camp.
54 >> These changes may not, in fact, be deliberate or intended to "defeat"
55 >> Microsoft, but Ockham's Razor cuts and intentionality is the simpler
56 >> explanation.
57 > that gnome is very hostile when it comes to KDE or choice is not news.
58 > And their dependency on systemd is just the usual madness. But they are
59 > not to blame for seperate /usr and the breakage it causes.
60
61 If not, then what was it? You seem to know what it was that started it
62 so why not share?
66 >> To come back to the thesis: robustness and flexibility are required
67 >> for good "health" and we are witnessing a dangerous challenge.
68 >>
69 > what? that you need an initrd? That is so bad?
70 >
71 > Are you kidding me?
72
73 For me, nope, I ain't kidding one dang bit. For me, I have used one
74 before and it was a mess. It failed more times than I would care to
75 think about so pardon me for NOT wanting to use one again.
76
77 >> [PS} If anybody cares, I was trained in both Computer Science and
78 >> Biological Science. and I can expand on the parallels if so desired.
79 >>
80 > no thank you. But if I might add one: you are making an elephant out of
81 > a gnat.
85 Maybe that gnat didn't bite you and give you some serious reason not to
86 let it happen again. You worry about the elephant tho. :-D
87
88 Dale
89
93 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!